Hamilton East and Hamilton West cemeteries are no longer operational, and are carefully managed to preserve the heritage and stories they hold.
Hamilton West Cemetery (Willoughby Street, near FMG Stadium Waikato) operated between 1869 and 1975. Hamilton East Cemetery, near Hamilton Gardens, opened in 1866 and is currently limited to reserve plot burials and ash interments.
Historic cemeteries heritage walks
Use the Hamilton Historic Cemeteries Heritage Walks booklet for a guided walk at either cemetery, and learn about some of our forebears resting in the cemeteries.
The Hamilton East Cemetery walk is approximately 90 minutes, and the Hamilton West Cemetery walk is about 40 minutes.
The booklet is also available at the Hamilton Park Cemetery Administration Office and the Hamilton Gardens Information Centre.
Last updated 2 July 2022