Our 65+ community
Learn about older people living in Hamilton and get related support and resources.
Our youth community
Explore our youth (rangatahi) community and get related support and resources.
Our ethnic community
Find out more and connect with our ethnic communities and get related support and resources.
Our disabled community
Find out about people with disabilities in Hamilton and get related support and resources.
What are diverse communities?
While focusing on all Hamiltonians, we also recognise the needs of specific groups within our wider community. These groups include Maaori, Pasifika and other ethnic communities, our rangatahi (youth), older people, and those with a disability.
Our Community and Social Development Strategy 2021-2026 (He Rautaki Whakawhanake Hapori) encompasses the needs of our diverse communities. One of its goals is high community use in our places and services because they are accessible, safe and welcoming.
View our data and statistics to further help you understand our communities, including Census information, our Quality of Life surveys and community profiles.
What resources are out there to support our diverse communities?
We’re working alongside community organisations and others to ensure strong engagement with our diverse communities.
- providing community funding and city event funding
- events and activities everyone can use and enjoy
- giving our communities the opportunity to have a say in Council decision-making
- making it easier for the community to use our public spaces and places.
You can find out about moving to Hamilton, settling in and becoming a New Zealand Citizen on our welcoming communities page.
We also provide information and events alerts, which we update weekly. Use one of the contact forms on our youth, older people, ethnic communities or disability pages to sign up for regular updates.
Find out what to do and where to go on our activating our public spaces and places page.
How can I have a say in what Council does for me and my community?
There are several ways you and your community’s voice can be heard in Council decision-making:
- See share your voice to give feedback on Council’s consultations.
- Visit our youth, older people, ethnic communities or disability pages for details about the plans, policies and strategies we’re using to support these community groups and all Hamiltonians.
- Join Hamilton’s regular community network meetings for all residents, including those who have recently moved to the city.
- Find out about your Council, including Mangaai Maaori and external appointees – who they are and how it works.
- Check out our welcoming communities page to find out how you can contribute to updates in Council’s Welcoming Plan, and get information on the city’s regular community network meetings.
Last updated 3 June 2022