Step 1: You

To manage an alcohol licensed business in Hamilton, you must hold a current manager’s certificate. A manager's certificate allows you to work as a duty manager in a business that sells or supplies alcohol.

Supporting documents you need to provide:

  • Written reference from the applicants employer at the licensed premises at which they are currently working. This should confirm their employment on licensed premises, how long they have worked there and relevant duties.
  • A written character reference from someone able to verify the applicant's suitability to hold a Manager's Certificate (references from the applicants employer at the licensed premises at which they are currently working, family members or relatives are NOT acceptable).
  • A copy of the applicants Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).
  • If the applicants LCQ was issued under the Sale of Alcohol Act 1989, a copy of their LCQ Bridging Test completion certificate.
  • Other evidence to support the application regarding experience, character, suitability and training (not mandatory), e.g. a CV (if the applicant has had experience working in or controlling licensed premises) and/or relevant training certificates.

If you are applying for the Manager's Certificate on behalf of someone else:

  • A copy of the authority to act as an agent of the applicant, signed by the applicant

If the applicant is not a New Zealand Citizen or Resident, the applicant must provide:

  • Copy of valid passport
  • Copy of current work permit/visa
  • Copy of Drivers Licence 
Application Fee for Manager's Certificate and Renewal
Application Fee $316.25

Step 2: You

Submit your application

Submit a hard copy 

Please download and complete the form and return your application.

In person

Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street

By post

Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Hamilton 3240

By email

Apply online


Apply for a manager's certificate

Step 3: Council

Applying for a manager's certificate takes at least 30 working days, it can take longer if we require further information from you or if a public hearing is required.

To ensure a smooth and swift processing time, it is important that the information supplied with your application is complete and accurate.

A copy of the application is sent to the p​olice and the licensing inspector for their report. You will be required to attend an interview with the inspector, which will include a test on the  Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012​. You will be contacted after your application has been received to arrange an appointment. Please allow up to three weeks for us to contact you for an interview.

Finally, once all documentation and reports are received, the application is then put before the district licensing committee (DLC) for their decision. If your application receives any objection, a public hearing may be required. The DLC may also refer your application to the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA)You will receive notification of the DLC's decision via mail.


Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 18 July 2022