Where can you drive your truck or heavy vehicle?

Inside the city boundary

If you’re driving a large truck or heavy vehicle for business inside the city boundary you should not travel on local or collector roads unless making a delivery to a location inside the city boundary, or no other alternative route is available. Our network of arterial roads is particularly useful here, for example, the Ring Road network including Wairere Drive.

Outside the city boundary

However, if you’re driving a large truck or heavy vehicle for business outside the city boundary (and you’re just passing through the city), then you’ll need to stay on the State Highway network.

Step 1: YOU

What you need to know

Truck inspections

Police include the requirements above from our Traffic Bylaw 2021 when pulling over trucks for speeding, or for a general inspection.

Find out what’s included in truck and heavy vehicle inspections by visiting this website:

NZ Police Commercial Vehicle Safety Team

Find more information on requirements for heavy vehicles, including a handy toolkit, and FAQs related to heavy vehicles’ engine braking in residential areas by visiting this website: 

Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency

Types of permits

You can apply for a permit for an oversize vehicle, an oversize load, an overweight load, or to operate a High Productivity Motor Vehicle (HPMV) on local roads and state highways running through Hamilton.

See the checklist below for what application forms you will need to complete.

1. Apply for an oversized vehicle or load or HPMV permit

Application forms, requirements and other information related to oversized loads, oversized vehicles and HPMV's are available from the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency heavy vehicle portal.

The portal also has information on what qualifies as an oversize or overweight load or vehicle, and its information page includes a guide to using the portal and information about permit types.

All the above applications are sent directly to Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency.

Apply for it

2. Apply for an overweight load permit

Make your application for this permit using the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency form provided below and send it to Council by email below.

Fees you may expect

Overweight vehicles
Overweight permit application per application $125.00


Complete the form


Step 2: YOU

Apply for an overweight load permit

Max file size: 300 MB; Allowed extensions: pdf,doc,docx


What you can expect from us

If your application is being handled by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, they will be in touch with next steps.

For the overweight load permit applications, we'll be advised of the outcome by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. When that happens, one of our staff will let you know whether your application has been successful, and what conditions and requirements relate to that permit.

Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 7 October 2022