24/7 alcohol ban

Alcohol ban areas in Hamilton Kirikiriroa 

There is a 24/7 ban on consuming alcohol in public places in the central city and parts of Te Rapa. In all other public spaces across the city, there is a ban on alcohol consumption from 10pm to 6am. 

The ban is a safety initiative to:

  • reduce alcohol-related crime and disorder
  • provide a safe city environment for everyone.

The penalty for breaching an alcohol ban is an infringement fee of $250. See our Alcohol Control Bylaw for more information.

What is a public place?

A public place is any area that is open to, or being used by the public. It includes roads, service lanes, footpaths, pedestrian malls, public car parks, parks and reserves.

The alcohol ban also applies to the possession and consumption of alcohol in a vehicle within a public place. The police can search a vehicle that is in or entering a public place to check if alcohol is present.

24/7 Alcohol Ban Area

Alcohol is banned in the shaded blue area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Time Restricted Alcohol Ban Area 

The time restricted alcohol ban covers all public places within the black dotted lines on the map from 10pm to 6am, 7 days a week.


Alcohol ban exceptions

The ban does not apply to licensed premises or their outdoor areas, or to people carrying unopened bottles or cans from licensed premises to areas outside the ban or private property.

The ban also does not prohibit the possession or consumption of alcohol in a public place where an alcohol licence has been issued under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act.

This means you can still:

  • bring your own (BYO) alcohol to a restaurant
  • receive stock if you are a business owner
  • transport alcohol to and from your home.

Application to consume alcohol

We can authorise low-risk activities that would otherwise breach the alcohol ban.

If you want permission to hold an event where a limited amount of alcohol will be consumed in a public place, please email licensing@hcc.govt.nz or call 07 838 6633.

Depending on the circumstances, you will either need to apply for a special license or an exemption from the bylaw.


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 7 July 2022