Step 1: YOU

What you need to know

Before you start your application for an event permit, read the checklist.

1. Do you need an event permit?

An event permit ensures both your event and the safety of attendees is prioritised. You will need an event permit if you are planning to hold an event in a public park or space in Hamilton with any of the items below:

  • inflatables e.g. bouncy castle
  • amusement devices
  • more than 100 people
  • food stalls
  • bands/DJs
  • marquee
  • stage
  • ​road closure.

You do not need an event permit if you are planning a casual event that will not include any of the above. However, you will need to apply to book a park or reserve for your casual event.

Find a park or reserve

2. What type of event are you planning?

There are three types of events from low-impact (requiring fewer supporting documents) to high-impact (more permits and licences will be required).

Low-impact event

  • No Food vendors or trading
  • Minimal infrastructure
  • No road closure
  • No amplified sound.
Medium-impact event (one or more of the following)
  • Food and beverage
  • Trading or fundraising
  • P.A or amplified sound
  • Moderate infrastructure
  • May have a partial road or footpath closure.
 High-impact event (one or more of the following)
  • Road Closures
  • Major infrastructure
  • Fireworks.

Please submit your event permit application well in advance and allow a minimum of:

  • 10 working days for low-impact events
  • 20 working days for medium-impact events
  • 90 working days for high-impact events (to fulfil any legal obligations).

3. Will your high-impact event affect the roads and footpaths?

You are required to manage vehicles and pedestrians through, around or past your event safely, and with a minimum level of inconvenience.

Any event affecting the roads and footpaths (there are some exceptions) must have an approved Traffic Management Plan.

If you wish to close a road for an event then you will need to submit your Traffic Management Plan at least 42 days before the event as a closure legally requires public advertising, notification letters, and signage.

Apply for a Traffic Management Plan

As part of your event organisation, you must always maintain safe and unimpeded access for the public along the footpath or public space. If you can't meet the safety criteria, apply for a Corridor Access Request.

Apply for a Corridor Access Request

4. Do you expect to have more than 3000 attendees?

You may require a resource consent. 

Check the criteria

5. Will you have a temporary structure such as a marquee or stage at your event?

You may need building consent. 

Check the criteria

6. Will you have stall, craft or trading activities at your event?

You will need to apply for a permit if you want to operate any of these activities at your event:

  • ​a mobile ​shop
  • ​​outdoor dining
  • other activities on footpaths
  • busking
  • footpath sign(s)
  • a merchandise display
  • hawking
  • charitable collections.

Apply for it

7. Will you have food vendors?

You need to provide more details about your food vendors using the form below.

Register food vendors

8. Will you be selling or supplying alcohol?

If you're selling alcohol, you'll need an alcohol licence.

Apply for it

If you are supplying alcohol with no sale, you'll need a special license.

Apply for it

Please note: An application for a special licence must be lodged at least 20 working days before your event is held. For large events, please lodge applications at least 30 working days before your event.


9. What documents will I need?

Depending on your event impact, you may need the following documents.

  • a site plan
  • an event programme
  • your health and safety plan 
  • proof of your public liability insurance for medium-to-high-risk events. 

We do have descriptions and templates available on our website to help you plan your event.

Book your event below to chat more with our Events Team and receive a permit application form.

Step 2: You

Submit your application

Contact(s) on the day

Event impact


What you can expect from us

Low impact events

Once we view your event booking and get in contact with you if we require any additional information.

Medium and high impact events

Once we receive your event booking, we will contact you to set up a meeting to go through the permit application.
We may request more documentation if required.

Final steps

If your permit application is approved, we’ll book your public space and send you written confirmation, otherwise we will be in touch with further information.

Frequently asked questions

Where can I fly unmanned aircraft and drones?

Use the table below to find out where you can fly in Council-managed spaces.

Where you can fly
​All parks and reserves (includes Hamilton Lake, Taitua Arboretum and Council-owned gullies) Noting that flying within 100m of a children's playground within a park is banned at all times.

Car parks (Council-owned) Flying over only
Council-owned or operated buildings Flying over only
​All public roads including Worley Place shared zone

Assessment-based requests for activity:

  • during when road closures are in place
  • whether the activity is for the purposes of project mapping, inspections (e.g. under bridges) or similar activities.
​Cemeteries Special requests can be considered on a case-by-case basis for activities such as mapping etc.
 ​Hamilton Gardens You will need written permission from the control tower at Hamilton Airport. This must be provided to Hamilton Gardens staff before approval will be given.

​Assessment will be based on whether the request is for:

  • occasions where people book out certain parts of the facility for events​ and occasions
  • instances where people may want to do scenery photography.
 ​Hamilton Zoo Special requests can be considered on a case-by-case basis for controlled filming over specific areas for activities such as mapping.
 ​Pedestrian malls (Garden Place and Commerce Street), Civic Square Assessment will be based on where activity is linked to an event.
 ​Pools and surrounding play areas If the venue is booked out for an event a request could be considered.
 ​Treatment plants, water reservoirs Special requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
 FMG Stadium Waikato, Seddon Park, Claudelands, The Grandstand, Founders Theatre​
  • Formal approval by venue management and the client would be required around any drone usage.
  • Flying drones is banned in Mill Street field, Willoughby Park, Beetham Park and Claudelands Oval in the case of events being held in the relevant H3 facility.
 ​Fire ban period All such activity is banned during a fire ban
 ​Car parks Taking off and landing in car parks
Children's playground ​​Flying within 100m of a children's playground within a park is banned at all times.
​Council-owned or operated buildings ​Take off and landing banned​


We have grants available for community groups and major event organisers to help fund your events and make our city a…

Apply for a filming permit

Filming even on a small scale can help bring an energy and vibrancy to Hamilton streets and public spaces

Finding and booking a community venue

Community halls and centres are places to celebrate, collaborate and connect. Find and book a community venue for your…

Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 7 December 2022