What you need to know

Who needs a food registration?

To sell food you need to have a registration under the Food Act 2014.

Businesses that need a food registration certificate to sell food include:

  • restaurants, cafes and takeaway shops
  • dairies, supermarkets and online stores
  • food stalls and food trucks
  • food manufacturers and growers, like brewers or honey producers
  • transport businesses that handle food.


What level of registration?

To apply for a registration first you need to work out the level of registration you need.

Find out which level applies to you



Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 18 August 2022