Where you can trade

Private property

If trading on private property (or as part of an organised market) a Public Places trading permit is not required.

Public property

You can apply to trade at public places such as on road reserves or footpaths.

We will consider applications to trade from specific locations based on the:

  • safety of pedestrians
  • nature of the goods to be sold
  • appearance of the proposed stall
  • impact on the neighbouring properties
  • layout of the proposed location.

What you can trade

You’ll need to apply for a permit if you are operating any of these activities in a public place:

  • footpath signs
  • merchandise displays
  • mobile shop
  • outdoor dining
  • other activities on footpaths (including street markets and individual stalls)
  • busking
  • hawking
  • charitable collections.

Submit your application

Please apply online or return your application form and supporting documents:

By post
City Safe Operations
Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Hamilton 3240

By email

By visiting
Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street


Apply online 

Apply for a permit

Related information




Related pages

Licenses and permits

Find out how to apply to sell alcohol or food, busk, or run a business that needs a health licence.

Alcohol licensing

Learn what’s expected with alcohol licensing in Hamilton, including applying for licences and manager’s certificates.

Policies, bylaws, and legislation

Find a policy, look at Hamilton's rules and regulations, or view some of the key legislation that applies to Council.


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 6 July 2022