Step 1 - YOU
Things you need to know
To complete this online form you will need to scan and attach the following supporting documents:
- You must include a copy of your plan and specifications of the proposed outdoor dining area showing:
- the location and dimensions
- the position of furniture including tables and chairs, planter boxes and heaters
- signage and umbrellas
- the area either side of the boundaries (up to 10m) of the space indicating the location of all footpaths
- public facilities, public places, streets and street alignments
- photographs or brochures of the furniture to be set up in the proposed outdoor dining area
- any enclosures or screens/dividers including ground and supporting fixtures.
- Public Liability Insurance Certificate to a minimum value of $2 million.
- Current alcohol licence for outdoor dining area (if applicable).
Please note your Outdoor Dining Permit does not permit you to serve alcohol. A separate alcohol licence is required for this. Read about applying for an alcohol licence.
Fees you might expect
How to pay
We accept cash, and credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) payments. Please note a 1.2% surcharge applies for credit card payments. You can pay us:
Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street
By internet transfer
Direct credit payments can be made to Hamilton City Council
Reference: Business Trading Name
Payment can be made by debit/credit card when applying for a permit through our online portal.
Step 2: You
If you already have an Outdoor Dining Permit and you wish to extend it, please fill in the below application form and submit it below:
STEP 3 - COUNCIL
What to expect
As part of the processing of your application a warranted officer of the Hamilton City Council may need to conduct a site visit to measure the designated area for outdoor dining.
Factors taken into consideration when approving a permit are public safety, location, time, type of activity and whether the activity will create a public nuisance.
Last updated 11 July 2022