On any street without time restrictions
You can park overnight in a self-contained vehicle on a public road as long as there are no other restrictions such as time limits. Your vehicle cannot be parked on the same road for more than three days in a row without authority from the Council. Please make sure you do not block driveways or otherwise affect residents’ access.
Freedom camping in vehicles is available 365 days a year in certified self-contained vehicles at Porritt Stadium in the designated area of the car park (see map below).
- A maximum of six self-contained vehicles only can park there at any one time.
- Vehicles cannot park there for more than three nights in any one month.
- The car park is available for overnight parking only between 5pm and 9am each day for up to three nights in a row.
- The park has toilets (open 7.30am to 6pm daily) underneath the Stadium grandstand.
|78 Crosby Road, Chedworth, Hamilton
|Monday to Sunday: 5pm to 9am
Monday to Sunday: 5pm to 9amHolidays: 5pm to 9am
Freedom camping in vehicles is not allowed in Civic Square and Garden Place in Hamilton’s central city (see the Traffic Bylaw including Registers).
Conditions of use
Freedom campers in vehicles who are using Porritt Stadium must:
- camp in a self-contained vehicle displaying a NZS5465:2001 Self Containment Warrant
- use the facilities provided
- leave the site in the condition you found it, including disposing of rubbish appropriately
- not affect other activities in the area (the stadium is home to a football club and is used for athletics events).
Freedom campers in vehicles parked on roads must:
- make sure their vehicle does not pose a health and safety risk
- dispose of all waste at an authorised dump station
- not cause a nuisance to residents.
An authorised dump station for campervans can be found at the end of Tui Avenue (next to Minogue Park).
Freedom camping links
Freedom Camping NZ – use this website to plan your trip for the best camping experience in New Zealand.
Last updated 23 February 2023