How can I report a local roading issue?

If it’s a safety issue, problem or damage issue related to a road, footpath, signage, road, transport or parking infrastructure, or traffic signals in Hamilton (or State Highways running through the city) you can report it to us. If it’s a State Highway issue outside the city, you need to contact Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. We will work with them if the road is within our city boundary.

See our road maintenance and management page for more information on what we do.

Who looks after Hamilton’s transport system?

Council manages and maintains local roads, kerbs, footpaths, traffic lights and transport signs. We also have a road safety programme that includes working with other groups. Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency looks after state highways including those running through Hamilton: SH1 (to Ngaruawahia and to Cambridge), SH3 (to Te Awamutu), SH23 (to Raglan) and SH26 (to Morrinsville).

Waikato Regional Council runs the city’s bus services (see Council is responsible for bus lanes, bus stops, the Transport Centre and the Rotokauri Transport Hub. We have partnered with Waikato Regional Council on the public passenger train service between Hamilton and Auckland (see

We also carry out road maintenance and management.

How are we ensuring road safety is a key focus in our city’s transport system?

Hamilton has adopted a Vision Zero target when it comes to deaths on our city’s roads. Our approach is aligned with and complemented by the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s Road to Zero campaign.

Get more details on our road safety work, including workplace travel planning and road safety education in schools.

We also set speed limits around the city, we carry out maintenance and management work on the city’s roads, roadsides, footpaths and other areas, and we manage roadworks and closures around this work.

In addition to what we do, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency has road safety information including:

  • tips on safe vehicles, safe driving, motorcycle skills, walking, biking and micro-mobility devices
  • the NZ Road Code.

Related pages


Learn what we’re doing about road safety and find out about travel planning.


Get information on where to park in central Hamilton.

How can I?

Apply, request, report, or pay for all transport related things


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 6 July 2022