Step 1: YOU
What you need to know
You can apply for a Certificate of Acceptance for work done without a building consent if the work complies with the Building Code.
A Certificate can only be issued if:
- we’re satisfied the building work complies with the Building Code
the work was carried out after 1 July 1992
- a building consent has not been granted by Council for the work.
A Certificate may be issued if:
- building work was done urgently without a building consent to protect life or health, or prevent serious damage to property (under section 42 of the Building Act (2004))
- a building consent authority or building certifier issued a building consent, but could not or would not issue a Code Compliance Certificate.
If the work is not eligible for a Certificate, you may need to remove the work and apply for a building consent to reinstate it or upgrade the work to meet the current code.
Fees you might expect
|Certificate of Acceptance Application (COA)||$670.00|
Apply for a Certificate of Acceptance
Submit a Certificate of Acceptance application to us along with the application fee and supporting information listed below.
Your application must provide evidence (from a professional such as an engineer) that the work complies with the Building Code, including those parts of the work that we cannot inspect.
- detailed plans and specifications prepared by a Licensed Building Practitioner
- design and/or supervision certificates for:
- roofing and cladding installers
- a current Certificate of Title
- a report from a qualified consultant on the construction and compliance with the Building Code
- a letter from the current owner explaining why building consent was not obtained (if applicable) prior to construction.
Step 2: YOU
Submit your application
Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street
or by using the form below
Step 3: Council
What to expect
You application will be considered and our team will be in touch if they require more information.
Contact our building support officers for guidance at any stage of the building consent application process.
For guidance on a range of building matters, including information about building consents:
Last updated 27 July 2023