What can I do about unauthorised building work?

1. Know how a building work is unauthorised

  • When buying property, check the Sale and Purchase Agreement for a clause that confirms the vendor has not done, caused or permitted any work on the property to be done without any permit, resource consent or building consent. These are required by law and this clause can be removed by agreement.
  • Apply for a Land Information Memorandum (LIM).

2. Report unauthorised building work

If you think work is underway or has been done without consent, please report it by contacting us.

Contact us

Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 10 June 2022