Before you request a refund, remission or special assessment

Please first refer to the relevant section of the applicable Development Contributions Policy: 

  • Section 19 of Council’s Development Contributions Policy: ‘Refunds’
  • Section 18 of Council’s Development Contributions Policy: ‘Remissions’
  • Section 17 of Council’s Development Contributions Policy: ‘Special Assessment’.

Step 1- You

Social housing developments may be eligible for a remission of up to 100% at our discretion.


  1. The development must deliver not-for-profit housing.
  2. The applicant on the building consent or resource consent must be registered as a community housing provider with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority.
  3. The development will provide social and/or affordable rental housing.
  4. An application for remission must be lodged with us prior to any development contributions being paid. Development contributions paid prior to an application being lodged will not be eligible for a refund.
  5. The Crown and Crown agents including Kāinga Ora are not eligible for this remission.
  6. Any other feature of the development or the developer which we consider relevant.
  7. The total value of social housing remissions provided by us under this policy.

Step 2 - You

Max file size: 300 MB; Allowed extensions: pdf,doc,docx,csv,xls,xlx

Step 3 - Council

What happens next?

Your application will be reviewed by a Development Contributions Office (DCO) and will be responded to within 10 working days.


If we need any more information we will reach out as soon as possible.


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 27 June 2022