Who can help with my submission?

If you have any questions about how to make a submission, the Ministry for the Environment has provided funding for an independent ‘Friend of the Submitter’ service to help you. This is being provided by Kinetic Environmental.

Kinetic Environmental is a local team of qualified planners who are available to advise you on the process for lodging a submission, how you might present your views, and the steps you will be required to take after a submission is lodged. However, they can't write your submission for you.

You can contact them by email pc12@kineticenvironmental.co.nz or phone 027 315 0177.

There is no cost for this service.

Please note discussing your submission with Kinetic Environmental does not mean your submission has been given to Council.

So how do I make a submission?

Before you start your submission, make sure you understand the proposed plan change and how it might affect you. Your submission should be concise but cover all points you wish to make.

Be specific and use examples where you can, especially if you are requesting Council change certain rules.

Have your say online

Make a submission online

Prefer paper?

You can complete a hard copy submission form, just pick one up from Council offices in Garden Place or from any Hamilton City Library.

Individual letters and emails will be accepted, if all required information is included in the submission. 

Your submission must include the following information:

  • addressed to Hamilton City Council
  • the name of the document you are submitting on
  • your name, postal address, and email so information can be sent to you
  • the specific provisions of the plan change that the submission relates to
  • whether you support or oppose those provisions or wish to have amendments made and your reasons why
  • the outcome or decision you wish from Council
  • whether or not you wish to be heard in support of your submission at a Council hearing
  • if others make a similar submission, whether you would be prepared to consider presenting a joint case with them at any hearing (yes or no)
  • signature of the submitter (dated).

Please be aware when providing personal information that submissions will be reproduced and included in public documents.

Returning your submission

By Post

Freepost 172189, Hamilton City Council, Private Bag 3010, Hamilton, 3240, Attn: Plan Change 12 submission

By Hand

Deliver to Council offices in Garden Place (260 Anglesea St)

By Email



Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 23 August 2022