Step 1: YOU

Read the checklist

1. Preparing the application

Before applying for resource consent, you’ll need to request some documents.

Project Information Memorandum
A Project Information Memorandum helps you decide whether your project is possible and practical. A PIM will tell you what we need to know about the site and requirements of the Resource Management Act (including whether you even need a resource consent), and other Acts that might affect your proposal and require separate approvals.

Assessment of Environmental Effects
All applications for resource consent must also include an Assessment of Environmental Effects. See the Ministry for the Environment’s guide to preparing a basic AEE.

The District Plan will tell you what you need to include, and you can call our Duty Planner on 07 838 6699 if you have any questions.

If your project could have significant effects on the environment, you might need specialist advice.

Preliminary design
You need a preliminary design for your project before starting the application process. Before this, it might be helpful to have a pre-design meeting with us.

Make sure the person who draws up your preliminary plans understands the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the Building Code. Include a site plan showing the boundaries of your property and surrounding properties, how much of the site the building will cover, any existing and proposed buildings, and elevations (drawings of the building from all sides).

A preliminary design will help you:

  • discuss your plans with us, your neighbours, and other affected parties
  • improve your ideas in light of those discussions
  • confirm the costs and overall practicality of the project
  • progress smoothly through later steps in the process.

Use our checklist to make sure you have all the information needed to apply for resource consent.

2. Community engagement

Who might be affected by your project? Most likely, your immediate neighbours and possibly others who are further away. Our planners can let you know who we think may be affected. They may then ask you to seek written approval from these people. This is optional but will probably make your application process simpler.

So people can work out whether they support your project or not, you will need to be open and honest, provide as much information as possible, listen to their concerns, and discuss how you might address these. Keep a record of who you consulted and what they said, and include this in your Assessment.

3. Apply for resource consent

Before you start your application, make sure you’ve read the application form so that you know what information we need to process your consent. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • a detailed description of the proposal
  • Assessment of Environmental Effects
  • Record of Title
  • a site plan, elevation plans or subdivision scheme plan
  • any expert reports – if needed.

Applications are formally accepted when all relevant documents are included, fees paid, and a full explanation of the proposal, assessment of effects, plans and checklists are included.

4. Possible development contributions

Depending on the nature of your project, you may be required to pay a development contribution. Development contributions are payable when resource consent is granted. 

Use our development contribution estimator tool for an indication of the charges that may apply.


5. Processing your application

We’ll check your application for completion, consult with experts for further information, and consider all the information within it, including the assessment of environmental effects and potential impact on others. If your resource consent is to be notified (see below), Council may conduct a pre-hearing meeting with you to discuss feedback. 

6. Notified or non-notified

We may decide to notify your application for resource consent. This means other people will have an opportunity to have their say on your project. This might happen when affected parties don’t give approval or if we decide the effects of the activity are more than minor.

There are two kinds of notification:

  • Limited notification allows only affected people who have not provided written approval to make submissions.
  • Public notification allows anyone to make a submission. A hearing into the application may be held.

Applications that are not publicly or limited notified are called non-notified resource consent applications.

7. Outcome of your application

One of our resource consents officers will write a report and make recommendations on your application within the statutory timeframe. If your application requires further information to be provided by you or requires notification the process will take longer.

Step 2: YOU

Starting work

You must let us know your start date at least 48 hours before you begin work. Contact us with the address of the property where the work will be done, your contact details, the resource consent number and when the work will start.

By phone

Duty Planner 07 838 6699

By visiting

Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street

By post

Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Hamilton 3240

By email

Step 3: Council

Ongoing site monitoring

We’ll monitor your site to make sure you’re complying with conditions of your resource consent (see below). We may also require you to monitor conditions yourself.

Complying with conditions

Conditions can help make sure any effects on the environment are avoided, reduced, or corrected if/when they happen. If we grant your consent there will be conditions you must comply with, which will be monitored by us or self-monitored.


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 9 August 2022