What you need to know

Trade waste is any liquid discharged from industrial or business premises into the wastewater system. Discharging directly to the wastewater system can cause blockages, overflows and introduce hazardous substances that can be a health risk to the public and environment.

A trade waste consent is a written agreement to discharge wastewater to the sewer system with set conditions. You may need a trade waste consent if you:

Getting and maintaining consent

Before any discharge can occur, you will need to apply to Council for a trade waste consent explaining the type of work to be carried out and the discharge. If the discharge is acceptable, Council will issue a consent.

The consent will provide details of:

  • the amount of wastewater that can be discharged to the wastewater system
  • the type and amount of substances in the wastewater
  • the type of pre-treatment needed
  • servicing requirements
  • the annual cost of the consent compliance monitoring.

The consent will include conditions to prevent:

  • blockages
  • sewer overflows
  • interference or obstruction to the treatment process or network
  • risk to public health and the environment.

All consents are non-transferable. If you sell or close the business, you must give 20 days’ written notice to Council or you may still be liable for associated costs.

For more information about trade waste services please contact us.

By phone

0800 357 358 

By email

Monitoring trade waste

Council manages wastewater and trade waste sources to prevent damage to our services and infrastructure and the environment. We manage and prevent sewer overflows, blockages, flooding, habitat destruction, and infrastructure damage while reducing the health and safety risk for everyone.

You may have to install a pre-treatment device and have it regularly maintained to meet consent conditions. All accidents and spills either causing damage to or allowing a substance to enter our network must be reported to Council immediately. You may also be asked to install a flow meter, which must be calibrated and monitored regularly so readings of discharge volumes are accurate.

Our staff will occasionally inspect, monitor, test, and sample to check you are complying. We’ll give you at least 24 hours’ notice before entering your property. In an emergency, 24-hour access must be granted to authorised officers without notice.

Improve your trade waste quality

By minimising the pollutants in trade waste, you can protect the health of the public and the environment. By producing less waste overall, your business can save money on trade waste charges and reduce pump outs of your grease traps.

Your business can help by:

  • disposing of greasy waste and food scraps into the rubbish bin
  • never putting oil down the sink
  • training staff on why it is important to keep fats, oils and grease out of drains and sewers
  • installing and maintaining grease traps/grease interceptors
  • arranging waste oil to be collected by a licensed waste contractor.

For industrial companies, it is important to ensure that only clean rainwater enters the stormwater drains on or near the premises. Your business can help by:

  • immediately cleaning all spills and leaks
  • preventing wash water from entering the stormwater drains
  • ensuring contaminated areas are bonded and wastewater is directed to the sewers

Fees you can expect

You will be charged a fee when you apply for trade waste consent. All businesses that discharge trade waste to the wastewater system will be charged annual trade waste charges. Extra charges will depend on the amount of trade waste being discharged and its nature.

Trade Waste Application Fees
Permitted/Controlled Discharge $331.00
Conditional Consent per application $778.00
Hourly rate for applications per hour $140.00
Temporary Discharge per application $331.00
Renewal Fee for permitted or conditional Trade Waste Consents per application $140.00
Variation / Change of Details Request for Trade waste consents (plus additional hourly rate for more than 30 minutes time noting that site inspection charges may also apply) Per request $70.00
Special trade waste agreements, variations or renewals. Actual costs recovered including but not limited to consultant or legal fees Actual costs


Apply for consent

Pre-treatment equipment must be installed before consent is granted. First, contact Council’s Trade Waste Officer for advice on 0800 357 358 or

A registered plumber must complete the work. 

Complete the application and submit it to Council with the trade waste application fee:

By visiting
Hamilton City Council
260 Anglesea Street, Hamilton

By post
Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Hamilton 3240

By email

Apply online

Location authority

This application relates to

Council connections

Note: If you didn't check wastewater system you may not require a trade waste consent to discharge.

Main trade activity

Max file size: 5 MB; Allowed extensions: pdf,doc,docx,jpg,jpeg,png

Is a health and safety induction required?

Days of operation

Type of discharge

Are the substances listed above bunded, and stored away from drains?

Is there a spill kit on site

Max file size: 300 MB; Allowed extensions: pdf,doc,docx

Does the site recycle solid waste?

Is there liquid waste taken off site?

Pre-treatment device/s

Does the discharge meet the permitted characteristics specified in the bylaw?

Method of flow measurement

Is there a water loss factor?

All authorised officers or authorised agents of the Council, or any analysts, may enter any premise believed to be discharging waste at any time in order to determine any characteristics of any actual or potential discharge by:

  • taking readings or measurements
  • carrying out site inspection audits; and/or
  • taking samples for testing, of any solids, liquid or gaseous material or any combination or mixture of such materials.

The information supplied in this application form will be held and used by Shared Services staff on behalf of Hamilton City Council, Matamata Piako District Council, Rotorua Lake Council, South Waikato District Council, Taupo District Council, Waipa District Council or Waitomo District Council. The information will not be disclosed by Shared Services unless legally required under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 or for one of the purposes in connection with its collection. The information supplied will be used for: assessing and processing this application, for administration purposes and updating Shared Services' records on behalf of each council to ensure all records are accurate. You have right to request access and correction of information collected.


What happens next?

Once we've received your application we will review it and get in touch within 15 working days.

As part of the application process we will:

  • check pre-treatment equipment has been installed
  • send you an invoice
  • provide you a fee receipt 
  • if approved and once all fees are paid, provide you with a consent number, along with any conditions for the consent.

Related pages

Three waters

Learn about the systems that look after Hamilton’s drinking water, stormwater, and wastewater (the ‘three waters’).


Learn about property compliance, building WoFs, swimming pool standards, and earthquake-prone buildings.

Building consents and information

Discover what you need to do before applying for building consent, when you need one, and how to apply.

Related information


Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 3 August 2023