This project will
Improve transport from and through eastern Hamilton to the central city
Provide a range of easier, safer and more reliable choices for getting around
Improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians
Eastern Pathways Te Ara o te Rawhiti will improve accessibility through and to eastern Hamilton, better connecting the city centre to our university and schools, as well as businesses, medical centres, and aged care facilities in this area.
In early 2022, we commenced small improvements to support our broader programme initiatives.
At the core of Eastern Pathways Te Ara o te Rawhiti is the School Link project. This is a series of road improvements on a key north-south transport route in Hamilton, extending from Hukanui Road in the north to Peachgrove Road in the south, between Wairere Drive and Clyde Street. This route connects 19 schools with over 9500 local students. Residential housing, shopping centres, churches, sports fields, and retirement villages along the route will also benefit from these improvements to safety, infrastructure, and accessibility.
School Link was approved by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency for pre-implementation (design) funding in late 2021.
By 2028, more than 200,000 people will call Hamilton home – and we're currently growing by about 81 new residents each week. This growth puts more pressure on the local transport system, creating several challenges:
The success of Hamilton's transport system relies on creating a new approach for different types of transport. We need to provide residents, commuters, and visitors with a range of easier, safer, and more reliable choices for getting around, in addition to private cars. The walking, biking and public transport projects within the Eastern Pathways Te Ara o te Rawhiti programme will help to achieve this vision.
2020-2021Business case for School Link defined and submitted for funding.
December 2021School Link approved by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency for pre-implementation (design) funding.
Yes. The programme, which is centred around School Link and Uni Link, will provide a safer environment for biking and walking, and improve public transport to educational facilities in this area. Fewer people travelling by car to these destinations will make it easier for others to travel through Hamilton. The supporting projects will also provide better biking and walking connections to other parts of the city.
The Bike, E-scoot and E-skate Programme is a city-wide, long-term strategy to identify ways to increase travel by bike, e-scooter or e-skateboard across Hamilton. Eastern Pathways Te Ara o te Rawhiti is a programme of infrastructure projects proposed for eastern Hamilton. Parts of these projects will be guided by the outcomes of the Bike, E-scoot and E-skate Programme.
The East/West Link will provide a direct and frequent bus connection between the University, Central Business District (CBD) and western suburbs. This bus route will work alongside the goal of Eastern Pathways Te Ara o te Rawhiti to improve walking, biking and public transport options to the west of the river. Better public transport connections both in eastern Hamilton and between the University, CBD, and western suburbs will enable more journeys by bus.
The business cases will support the funding application to Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency for the future investigation, consultation, design, and construction phases of these larger projects.
In early 2022, School Link was approved for pre-implementation funding of $2.8 million, which will fund the design of the project in stages. The full budget required to deliver School Link is $28 million.
The programme will be jointly funded by Hamilton City Council and Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. How the funding will be split will be known following the funding application to Waka Kotahi for School Link and Uni Link.
This funding forms part of the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) announced in September 2021, under which Waka Kotahi guaranteed funding of $163.5 million for transport projects in Hamilton. Under the NLTP, Waka Kotahi co-funds 51% of the cost of approved projects with Council funding the remaining 49%.
Last updated 6 July 2022