Project update

A decision was made at the Infrastructure and Transport Committee meeting on 5 March 2024 to remove this project from the 2023-24 transport programme.

Thank you for taking an interest in this project.

Project summary

There have been 37 crashes at this intersection between 2010 and 2023, with the majority relating to drivers turning at the intersection. The improvements aim to reduce the risk and severity of crashes and create a calmer street environment.

It’s currently difficult for vehicles to turn in and out of Beale Street. Delays occur as traffic builds during peak pick-up and drop-off times for students at Marian Catholic School, Hamilton Boys’ High School, Hamilton East School, and Sacred Heart Girls’ College. The changes will make it easier for turning vehicles and improve access to nearby healthcare.

The roundabout will provide separated and dedicated spaces for people walking, biking, and driving. The intersection improvements are part of a long-term vision to improve the walking and biking options along Grey Street, and to connect biking routes between key destinations throughout the city.

What we're planning to do

  • upgrade the intersection to a roundabout
  • install raised zebra crossings at the roundabout for people walking and biking
  • remove 18 parking spaces on Grey Street, and nine parking spaces on Beale Street, to provide space for the planned changes
  • widen the footpath at the roundabout to a shared path on Beale Street
  • install ramps to enable people on bikes to safely move between the existing on-road bike lanes and the new off-road paths on Grey Street
  • install yellow and black speed humps outside the driveway next to Acuppa Cafe.

Two trees may potentially be impacted by the planned changes. Further assessments will determine what action is required. Any trees that need to be removed would be replaced.

Grey Beale Street intersection upgrade proposed improvements map

Frequently asked questions

Does what I have to say matter?

Our staff are professional transport planners and engineers who spend a lot of time and effort to get these projects right. However, we always seek feedback from residents and businesses as you know your local streets better than anyone else. You’re able to provide insights that we may not have and highlight anything you may think we’ve overlooked.

Why do we use raised safety platforms?

The number and severity of crashes in Hamilton has dropped significantly in places where raised safety platforms have been installed. A person hit at 50km/hr only has a 10% chance of survival. If the car is going 30km/hr, their chance of surviving increases to 90%.

We’ve started using raised safety platforms at busy intersections in areas where there’s a lot of people walking and biking, particularly around schools.

Raised safety platforms also create a level crossing from footpath to footpath. This is important to enable people of all ages and abilities to safely cross the street by removing the need to step up or down between the footpath and the road.

Why are the pedestrian and bike crossings raised?

The crossings are raised to encourage drivers to approach the crossing at a safer speed to minimise the harm to a pedestrian if a crash did occur. Everyone makes mistakes and our transport network must be designed in a way that will not lead to deaths or serious injuries.

Why do we need crossings near the roundabout for people walking and biking?

We want to make it easier and safer for everyone to move around our city and encourage people to travel in a more sustainable way.

The intersection is busy as it’s close to several schools such as Marian Catholic School, Sacred Heart Girls’ College, Hamilton East School, and Hamilton Boys’ High School. There are also several businesses surrounding it, including the Hamilton East Medical Centre which attracts many patients and clients.

What does the change to the roundabout with raised crossings do to traffic flow?

The raised safety platform will slow traffic down temporarily but ensure traffic continues to flow at a steady pace. The changes will create more gaps for drivers to enter the roundabout and will improve traffic flow from Beale Street - especially at busy times such as a school pick up and drop offs, and before and after church services.  

Will the crossings create more congestion?

Drivers would only have to stop when people walking and biking are crossing the street.

Active modes of transport as well as public transport move larger groups of people compared with cars which take up the most road space per person of any mode of transport – creating congestion.

We’re currently highly reliant on our cars in Hamilton which is why we’re investing in improved infrastructure to support more travel options.

How many car parks would be removed?

A total of 27 carparks will be removed – 18 on Grey Street and nine on Beale Street. Most of the businesses in the area have on-site parking, and there’s a paid carpark next to Acuppa Café.

The carparks on the west and east side of Grey Street, south of the intersection, have parking restrictions so vehicles can only stay for 60 minutes. The other car parking spaces have no restrictions.

We’ve undertaken parking surveys to determine the occupancy of these car parks at different times and days.

Will any vehicle accesses be affected?

Two vehicle accesses will need to be reconstructed at 511 Grey Street - The Cancer Society. Both these vehicle accesses (one on Grey Street and one on Beale Street) will need to be extended as part of the project.

Will you be removing any trees?

Two trees may be impacted by the planned changes. Further assessments will determine what action is required. Any trees that need to be removed would be replaced.

Feedback

Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 28 March 2024