We keep a record of how many building consents we grant for new houses each year, what type of house they are and what part of Hamilton they are in. We also look at whether they are infill housing (in existing neighbourhoods) or greenfield (new housing areas).

Here's the type of building consents we look at:

  • Houses – this is your average standalone house.
  • Apartments – this includes buildings with fully self-contained units over three storeys with a horizontal firewall separating each storey. 
  • Townhouses, flats and units – these can still be multiple stories but do not have a horizontal firewall separating each storey. This means they are effectively one building split into several dwellings vertically.
  • Retirement village units – these are fully self-contained houses, flats and units built specifically for retirement villages.
Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 1 July 2022