Elected members come from all walks of life and generally have a desire to serve their community.
You do not need to reside in the Hamilton East General Ward in order to stand.
You do not need any formal qualifications.
Other requirements are that:
- You must be a New Zealand citizen and be a parliamentary elector anywhere in New Zealand.
- You are nominated by two electors in the Hamilton East Ward.
- You or your spouse/partner must not have concerns or interests in contracts over $25,000 with Council.
- If you are subject to a Court Order under section 31 of the Protection of Personal Property Rights Act 1988, you should take legal advice.
- If you are an employee of Council, you must resign before taking up your position as an elected member. Depending on the circumstances, under Council Policy you may need to take leave for campaigning prior to the election.