Enrol now

To vote in these elections, you must be enrolled. By law, you must enrol if you’re eligible, but enrolling so you can vote is a much better reason!

You can enrol to vote in the General Roll or the Maaori Roll if:

  • you are 18 years or older,
  • You are a New Zealand citizen
  • you are a permanent resident, and you’ve lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more at some time in your life. 


If you’re already enrolled, make sure your details are up to date – it’ll take two minutes.


Single Transferable Vote (STV)

STV Thmb v2

What you need to know

How to vote

It’s a postal vote, so you’ll receive your voting papers in the mail and you can post them back, or drop them off to a ballot box.

STV is our new voting system, and it really is as easy as 1,2,3. Instead of placing ticks on your voting paper, you will rank the candidates instead, with 1 being your most favourite.

A few things to remember: 

  • You don’t have to rank all the candidates 
  • Don’t use the same number twice 
  • Don’t skip a number 

How to enrol

It's super easy!

You're eligible to enrol and vote if you're: 

  • 18 or older (you can enrol if you're 17 and turning 18 before the next election) 
  • A NZ citizen or permanent resident and have lived in New Zealand for a year or more.

Find out more


If you're not sure if you're enrolled yet no worries you can check and update your details online if need be

Check now


And if not, enrolling is a breeze, just grab your drivers licence, passport, or RealMe details and do it online.

Enrol now

No voting pack? No problem.

Special voting

If you forgot to enrol, or you’re going to be away from home during the voting period, you can ask for a special vote.

Special voting packs are available at the following locations:

  • Customer Services, Municipal Building, Garden Place, Hamilton City Council
  • Chartwell Library, Lynden Court, Hamilton
  • Hillcrest Library, 58 Masters Avenue Hamilton
  • Te Kete Aronui Rototuna Library, 30 North City Road, Rototuna North, Hamilton


Or contact us at elections@hcc.govt.nz and we’ll sort you out.

Email us now

Where will I be able to vote

Voting isn't open yet

Here's where you will be able to vote when voting opens 26 January 2024.

Ballot boxes

Frequently asked questions

How do I enrol to vote in these elections?

Head to www.vote.nz to see if you are eligible. Then, you can either:

  • enrol online at https://vote.nz/enrolling/enrol-or-update/enrol-or-update-online/
  • ring 0800 36 76 56 to arrange for a form to be sent to you in the mail
  • send your name and address to Free text 3676 for a form to sent to you in the mail
  • download a form at https://vote.nz/enrolling/enrol-or-update/other-ways-to-enrol/
  • Contact Council and we can send one out to you

When can I enrol?

You can enrol, or check your enrolment anytime from now until 16 February 2024.

You cannot enrol on election day (17 February 2024).

I turn 18 on Election Day, can I vote?


But you need to make sure you have enrolled which you can do provisionally from the age of 17 and it automatically changes when you turn 18.

You will also need to apply for a special vote.

I own a property in the district but it is not my fulltime residence. How do I get on

Please contact us so can send you out a Ratepayer Enrolment form. This should be back in the hands of the Electoral Officer by 22 December 2023 and absolutely no later than 16 February 2024.

If it is easier you can head to one of our Special Vote venues and complete the ratepayer enrolment form and have your special vote at the same time. In no case does this allow you to have two votes at the election.

If you are the sole ratepayer for the property (i.e. the rate account is only in your name), then you can apply to be the Ratepayer Elector.

If you are a joint ratepayer (i.e. the rate account is in more than one name), or the rate account is in the name of a Trust or Company etc., you must appoint a nominee to vote on behalf of the joint ratepayers or entity. For the case of companies, corporations, trusts etc., the nominee should be a member or officer of the entity.

Share this page


Has this page been helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated 27 November 2023